Friday, June 22, 2007

Unity - Literal or Metaphor

There's been a lot of discussion lately about the idea of unity and 'one church' at SDBC, and it has brought issues up such as the chinese/english church, different services, different home groups, and different youth activities just as examples. The push is for all these activities, meetings, and groups to be united as one church - this was supposed to be demonstrated in events such as combined services. There's been many pushing and pulling and re-organising happening, but my question is: is it really necessary?

I've been part of SDBC for 11 years now... and no one can doubt that I am a part of SDBC. I've been active in many different areas of the church, and i do feel very much united as a part of SDBC. Do i feel united in these big church events - the answer is yes, of course. Its awesome seeing everyone together as one big group. BUT, is that the only way to feel united - the answer to me is no. I feel united as part of SDBC with my fellow SDBC members because I know that we are all on the same path, to the same direction, and with the same common purpose. Maybe it is good to have big gathering events once in a while, but it isn't the be all and end all of being united. I may have a different interest to the bloke sitting at the back of the church, or the guys that go to different services - and this is where the small groups come in. Unity doesn't mean we all have to be together all the time and every time. We need to have the same purpose and common goal - that is the key of unity to me.

No comments: